Wednesday, February 19, 2014

This One Goes to 135

I'm getting creative with titles for these posts aren't I?  No?  I didn't think so, but it has only taken me three or four years to (eventually) publish 135 posts of random musings.  A lot of stuff has been happening with me lately; mainly in the terms of Grifball, but still.

The GGL season is over mostly (minus the championship game I think) but on the upside, the Aces made it into the playoffs again despite a very...weird season for us.  We got eliminated in our first game, which it was a sad way to end the season really.  Especially since a few days beforehand Joker announced that the Aces would not be returning next season.  It was a tough season for us this time around as we had to use subs in all of the games we played, and most of the games we ended up forfeiting to begin with because we could not field enough players.

After Joker told us what was going to happen to the Aces once this season had ended, I had no idea what I was going to do.  I knew I was going to play another season in the GGL at least, albeit on a new team if I could find one.  I thought of a couple captains of others team I could go to and see if they'd be looking for new players after this season was over, but I was going to wait until the season was officially over.  Before the playoffs had started though, one person took the initiative to ask me if I wanted to join their team for next season.  Perfect Demise had asked me over Twitter if I would like to join Sarge's Squad for the next GGL season as they would be looking for some more players.  Not exactly knowing if I'd play for a team next season I instantly said yes.  So next season I shall be the punching bag for Sarge's Squad.


I'm going to miss playing with everyone on the Aces.  No more bonk betraying Joker right as he is about to score...not that I did that or anything.  They were a fun group of people to hang out with, and I really have to thank Zebra and Joker for letting me play on the team in the first place.  Without them hounding me to join, I know I would not have played on a team at all.  I'm pretty sure he'll never read this, but I also to have give elves shame a shout out as he took me under his proverbial wing and gave me tips to improve on my tanking game.  I know they have helped as I have found what works best for my "style" of tanking.  I've never gotten to play with brocklegomaster outside of one playoff game as he first joined the team last year.  But I'm sure it would have been a blast regardless, and who knows; maybe we'll be on the same team again in the future.  Lastly, what can I say about Ross?  At least we got you into a game!  I honestly think if you'd find another team, you would be a good player with some time.  Adieu Aces, it was fun and hopefully we'll be reunited under the same name soon.

While the Aces will always hold a special place with me, I am looking forward to playing on a new team.  Granted I already know most of the people that are already on the team, but I don't know how they play.  Not to mention, it will be interesting to see how well I do with a new set of teammates.  I've already forewarned them of the impending betrayals, because #MoreBetrayalsThanKills.


A few months ago I decided to sign up for a one night tournament that was being hosted by the International Grifball League (IGL) where those who had signed up as captains could draft others who had signed up for the event.  I figured playing in this one event wouldn't hurt and it'd be a lot of fun.  Since I was late getting online for the event, I was picked second to last and landed myself on Perfect Demise's team.  At that time though, I did not know that Demise was captaining a team within the IGL.  I did fairly well in the event when I was put in to play a game, and after the tournament had ended Demise wanted to know if I would be interested in joining his team for the remained of the IGL season. 

I thought about it for a bit, still being new to the Grifball world but I made up my mind and said sure.  They had roughly about three games left in the regular season, plus playoffs later on.  I played in a couple of their last regular season games; one of which was an amazing comeback being down 4-1 to win 5-4.  After the regular season was finished the IGL rolled out some awards for people to vote on and I was nominated for WL14 US Rookie of the Season.  I thought that was pretty cool to be nominated for it, especially for joining halfway through the season and only playing two games.  Once voting finished a week later the winners were announced and there I found my name next to the Rookie of the Season award...despite only playing three games.  Almost a rookie by true definition.



Around the same time voting for the end-of-season awards started, they had also put out applications for some new admins and staff to help out.  I saw this and instantly thought "Sweet, this is my time to step up in the Grifball community."  As I started to look at the application however, one question got me to rethink my decision of wanting to apply.  "What do you think you can bring to the table to help improve the league?"  That question had me stumped, all I could think of to offer is the fact I could write articles and nothing more.  After talking with a few people I knew they said I should go for it either way, so I did.  After waiting another week for applications to close the decision on who the next admins would be was quickly made.  So I'm excited to say I'll be an admin for the IGL SL14 season, and hopefully a few more after that.

I know in my last post I made on here I said I would probably never do anything like that due to the fact of not having enough time to dedicate myself towards something like that.  Lately though, a few people have been stepping out of their comfort zones and it has paid off for them.  I'm extremely happy for them as it's about time some good things happened to them.  You know who you are.  They have been telling me to do the same, I took their advice and it paid off for me this time.

To end this semi-lengthy post, I'll leave you with another Highlight Frenzy that I may or may not have been featured in.  Twice.



And also not an amazing stop I get on my future teammate BaconFadays.  Sorry Bacon...still.


No comments: